Wanting to make something the whole family can enjoy, something healthy, easy and delicious?
This week I bring you a simple and tasty recipe using one of my favourite foods, Sweet Potato!
We LOVE Sweet Potatoes, so they often feature in any meals, from breakfast through to dinner. They are packed full of goodness like Vit A (beta-carotene), Vit C, Potassium and dietary fiber. Kids generally enjoy tucking into them as they are sweet by nature. It’s a great idea to add some healthy fat into your sweet potato-containing meals if you’d like to enjoy the full beta-carotene benefits of this vegetable. A small amount of fat is shown to help the body absorb and increase our uptake of beta-carotene. Why would we want beta-carotene? Our bodies convert it into vitamin A. We need vitamin A for healthy skin and mucous membranes, our immune system as well as good eye health.
So here it is a simple and easy to put together a family-friendly dish that’s delicious and full of goodness.
Sweet Potato Bake
* 1 can of coconut cream
* 1 garlic clove, peeled and chopped
* 2 sprigs thyme or rosemary
* 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon ground
* butter, for greasing or coconut oil.
* 850g sweet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced (about 3mm thick)
Heat oven to 180C.
1. Put the coconut cream, garlic and herb sprigs into a small saucepan and slowly bring to just below boiling. This allows all the beautiful flavours to infuse into your cream.
2. Turn off the heat, season with salt, pepper, and cinnamon and leave to infuse.
3. Grease an ovenproof dish generously with butter and spread half the sweet potato slices across the bottom.
4. Pour a little of the cream mix over and then continue layering the potato slices. Pour over the remaining cream mixture.
5. Bake for 45-55 mins until golden and the potatoes are soft all the way through.
*This dish can also be made using normal cream.
You could also get creative and layer some spinach in between the potato slices for an extra health kick!
Happy Cooking everyone, if you have any thoughts or comments share them below and feel free to get in touch.
Love and health,
“Mama Wolf” x
P.S. If you enjoyed this post and you want to receive more like it, subscribe to my newsletter where I also share healthy tips for living life…naturally.