Mielies- a South African word for Corn.
It’s Sunday afternoon, my dad has lit a fire, the sun is shining and Cooper Pax is in the swimming pool. Fresh salad leaves, tomatoes, herbs, peppers and any other organic goodies we may have growing in the garden in the back are being picked and prepped for a salad. From the kitchen inside comes a delightfully sweet and savoury smell, my mum has Sweetcorn muffins baking in the oven. These are the smells, tastes, and memories I will cherish and hold with me for the rest of my life. Simple things, that symbolize family and love, memories and quality time together.
All this from a muffin, well yes! Food takes us places, it holds memories and brings people together. So here I am again sharing with you all another delicious recipe for you to create your own happiness and memories.
This recipe is great in that it can be used in school lunch boxes, as a breakfast muffin, afternoon snack or as an accompaniment to a braai or meal.
*for a non-gluten free version see the bottom of the recipe.
1 1/2 cup gluten free flour
4 tablespoons tapioca flour
2 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
1 Tin of creamy sweetcorn (420g)
90ml melted butter or coconut oil
grated cheddar or goats cheese (for the top)
- Preheat the oven to 180C
- In a large bowl sift all the dry ingredients together. ( flour, baking powder and salt.)
- In a separate bowl whisk the eggs, butter, and sweetcorn together.
- Pour the sweetcorn mixture into the flour mixture and mix together with a wooden spoon or spatula to bring together into a soft batter.
- Grease a muffin pan with either butter or coconut oil.
- Spoon the mixture into the muffin tray
- Sprinkle the cheese over the top as well as some paprika
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until golden
- Serve warm with butter.
- you could also fry off 1 onion and bacon bits and add that into the mixture for an extra little flavour explosion.
*to make this recipe with normal wheat flour substitute the GF flour and tapioca flour with 2 cups of plain wheat flour.
Until next week, love and health,
“Mama Wolf” x